At the beginning of the month, we celebrated our six month anniversary early with a trip to Uenoshi, a historical town in the mountains north of us. It's a big tourist spot (complete with themed trains for the last leg of the trip), as it boasts a beautiful castle, ninja museum, and is the birthplace of the Japanese poet Matsuo Basho. We enjoyed getting out of town for the day and learning about and experiencing Japanese culture in this unique way.
|Throwing shuriken - ninja throwing stars.|
|In front of Basho's birthplace.|
Last Sunday, Caitlin had the chance to speak to the middle and high school Sunday school class at the church we attend. She was able to share her testimony with the group of about 15 teenagers, and engage in a question time with them afterward. There are not a lot of young adults in the Japanese church, and so teenagers have a lack of role models that they can connect with. Because of this, we're really excited about this chance for her to connect with the church's youth, and hope that she will be able to cultivate relationships with them.
What else has been going on?
- We joined a monthly Bible study with a group of Thomas' co-workers.
- Thomas has been doing a new unit with his students: How do you want to be remembered? It's a unit designed to challenge them to think about what kind of legacy they will leave behind them throughout their life and high school career.
- Caitlin began teaching a new phonics class for the older students at her school. It is interesting to experience the differences between teaching four and six year olds! She is still getting used to the new dynamics and content, but it has been going pretty well so far.
This month, please remember these prayer requests:
- Pray that we will continue to grow together and be a blessing to each other and those around us.
- Praise God for the opportunity for Caitlin to share her testimony. Pray that she will be able to cultivate relationships with the students, and that God will use these relationships for his glory.
- Praise God for the new Bible study opportunity, and pray that it will be time of godly fellowship that will enable us to grow in our friendships.
- Praise God for the opportunities we have to serve him at the schools we each teach at. Pray that our students will see God's love in our interactions with them.
Caitlin and Thomas
Caitlin and Thomas